|1.4||OT – Matt Kalil||USC|
|Congrats to the Vikings for acquiring several picks and still landing the blue-chip OT to protect Christian Ponder. After flirting with Claiborne and Blackmon, Vikings make the right choice.|
|1.29||S Harrison Smith||Notre Dame|
|I understand the Viking needed a Safety, but Harrison Smith is vastly overrated in my opinion and does not have 1st round value. I can’t fault this pick completly, becuase Smith should be a day 1 starter and fills a major hole.|
3.3 CB Josh Robinson,UCF
- There were some rumors that Robinson could sneak into round 1, so for the Vikings to get him here, and help solidify their secondary is a great move.
4.23 WR Jarius Wright,Arkansas
- I like Wright, and the Vikings needed more help at WR, but I thought Minnesota would go with someone bigger in size to compliment Percy Harvin.
4.33 TE Rhett Ellison,USC
- Not a big fan of this pick. They already have Kyle Rudolph and over paid for John Carlson. So essentially Ellison can becomes a 3rd TE who had better value in rounds 5-6.
4.39 WR Greg Childs,Arkansas
- Childs gives the Vikings size at WR that they needed and had some intriguing upside if he can play up to his potential.
5.4 CB Robert Blanton,Notre Dame
- Blanton will bring the Vikings some versatility at either CB or FS. He might have a hard time finding PT at first, but should contribute on Special Team and in dime packages. Potential starter
6.5 K Blair Walsh,Georgia
- Walsh is a solid Kicker, but he could of been had in the 7th. I guess this means the end of Ryan Longwell?
7.3 ILB Audie Cole,NC State
- I really was surprised to see Cole last this long. He will make for a great backup behind Jasper Brinkley and should be solid on ST.
7.12 DE Trevor Guyton,Cal
- Another solid value pick here. Guyton adds versatility to the Vikings Defensive line.
Overall Draft Grade
|WR||Re-signed Devin Aromashadu; Signed Jerome Simpson|
|CB||Signed Zachary Bowman; Signed Chris Carr|
|DT||Re-signed Letroy Guion; Re-signed Fred Evans|
(Other Potential Needs: G,MLB,OLB)
Vikings have to build a solid offensive line around Christian Ponder. Charlie Johnson is not an answer, and the Vikings as of now have locked up a Top 3 pick in this draft. Look for Matt Kalil or Jonathan Martin to be in Minnesota next year. Along with building an offensive line, the Vikings must also find Ponder some scoring threats at WR. Anyhwere in the secondary needs to be upgraded along with finding some youth at the DT spots.
- Release CB Cedric Griffin, and OG’s Steve Hutchinson and Anthony Herrera
- Re-Signed QB Sage Rosenfels
- Sign TE John Carlson
- Signed OL Geoff Schwartz
- Re-signed OLB Erin Henderson
- Re-signed WR Devin Aromashodu
2012 Free Agents
|1.12||QB-Christian Ponder||Showed promise early, but regressed as season went on (11/10)|
|2.43||TE-Kyle Rudolph||Very solid rookie season. Has a high ceiling (15/8)|
|4.106||DT-Christian Ballard||Little impact, but versatility intrigues Vikings (16/2)|
|5.139||CB-Brandon Burton||Saw some action late, but needs a big 2012 (10/1)|
|6.168||OT-DeMarcus Love||Saw action on scout team last season (0/0)|
|6.170||FS-Mistral Raymond||Injuries forced him to start. Raw, but has some potential (10/5)|
|6.172||C-Brandon Fusco||Big interior lineman, who could push for starting job next season (3/0)|
|6.200||OLB-Ross Homan||Cut in training camp (0/0)|
|7.215||DE-D’Aundre Reed||Scout team body. Inactive for all 16 games (0/0)|
|7.236||WR-Stephen Burton||Played very late in the season, but landed on the I.R. (3/0)|