Depth Charts ¦ Offseason Review (Coming Soon!)
2012 Draft Selections
|1.19||DE – Shea McClellin||Boise St.|
|Im 50/50 on this McClellin is a hell of a football player, and has risen up boards lately, but his best value is in a 3-4 as an OLB. He’s not very athletic and don’t see how he fits as a 4-3 DE, especially in round 1. Plus, with DeCastro,Martin, and Cordy Glenn still on the clock, I question the pick this early.|
2.13 WR Alshon Jeffrey,South Carolina
- I like this pick. Brandon Marshall was acquired this offseason, but more was size was needed at WR for Chicago. Jeffrey gives Jay Cutler another redzone threat, and someone to take pressure off Marshall.
3.16 DB Brandon Hardin,Oregon St.
- I think this is a huge reach. Hardin has a 7th round grade from me, and with OT Bobby Massie still on the board I don’t like selection very much.
4.16 FB Evan Rodriguez,Temple
- Rodriguez was my highest rated FB and brings some versatility as a H-back and TE as well. Maybe a round or two early though
6. 14 CB Isaiah Frey,Nevada
- The Bears needed to address their depth at CB, and Frey is an ideal fit as a Cover-2 CB.
7.13 CB Greg McCoy,TCU
- Not a big fan of McCoy, but Bears are thin at CB, and it is the 7th round
Overall Draft Grade
|WR||Acquired Brandon Marshall; Signed Eric Weems; Signed Devin Thomas|
|CB||Re-signed Tim Jennings;Signed Kelvin Hayden and Jonathan Wilhite|
|TE||Re-signed Kellen Davis|
(Other Potential Needs: OG,LB,SS)
The O-line continues to be a weak spot with the Chicago Bears. They drafted OT Gabe Carimi last season but he will finish the season on IR. I wouldn’t be surprised if they address this position again early in the draft. Look for the Bears to also find another playmaker at the DE spot. Israel Idonije is set to be a FA after this season, so if they can retain him they will need to find a replacement. Finding Roberto Garza’s successor and a big time WR should also be considered a top priority for the Bears.
- Franchised RB Matt Forte
- Tendered RB Khalil Bell
- Signed QB Jason Campbell
- Re-signed QB Josh McCown
- Re-signed S Craig Steltz
- Signed RB Michael Bush
- Signed OG Chilo Rachal
2012 Free Agents
|1.29||OT-Gabe Carimi||If he can stay healthy becomes the best player on line (2/2)|
|2.51||DT-Stephen Paea||Wasn’t very consistent, but was a solid rotational player (11/0)|
|3.93||FS-Chris Conte||Earned the starting job, but landed on IR late in the seasn (14/9)|
|5.160||QB-Nathan Enderle||Didn’t develop and failed to impress team (0/0)|
|6.195||OLB-JT Thomas||Basically a redshirt season after he landed on IR to start season (0/0)|