Depth Charts ¦ Offseason Review (Coming Soon!)
|1.9||ILB – Luke Kuechly||Boston College|
|I had this pick correct in my mock and think it’s a great fit. I’m not as high on Kuechly as others, but there is no doubting his instincts and ability to stop the run. Kuechly will most likely play WLB for the Panthers, and he gives them a very formidable LB corps.|
2.8 OG Amini Silatolu, Midwestern St.
- I like Silatolu, and I like the idea of protecting Cam Newton. I thought they would stay defense and maybe add a DT, but it’s hard to fault a team for grabbing a good O-lineman to protect their QB
4.8 DE Frank Alexander,Oklahoma
- Panthers had a need at DE, but grabbing Alexander is a little early. He has a high motor, and put up good numbers in college so the potential is there.
4.9 WR Joe Adams,Arkansas
- Panthers and Cam Newton need more weapons opposite of Steve Smith, but I though they would go with a WR with more size that can provide a bigger redzone threat.
5.8 CB Josh Norman,Coastal Carolina
- This is a great pick in round 5. Panthers had a major need at CB and Norman had tremendous value in this late in the draft.
6.37 P Brad Nortman, Wisconsin
- Didn’t think Nortman was going to get drafted, but K/P’s late in the draft don’t get downgraded much.
7.9 S DJ Campbell,Cal
Overall Draft Grade
|OLB||Signed Kenny Onatolu|
(Other Potential Needs: FS,G,SS)
Jeff Otah has the talent, but has played in less than 50% of the teams games since he was drafted. Panthers need talent at OT they can stay on the field to give Cam Newton protection. After spending two mid-round picks on DT, Panthers might be better served if the found a FA vet to clog the middle. Staying on the defensive side of the ball, Panther have a roster full of Nickle type CB’s, a legit starter needs to be found to go along with Chris Gamble. A big red-zone WR would be a nice addition opposite of Steve Smith.
- Signed K Justin Medlock
- Re-sign OL Geoff Hangartner
- Released OG Travelle Wharton
- Signed S Haruki Nakamura
- Signed RB Mike Tolbert
- Signed G/C Mike Pollack
- Re-signed Antwan Applewhite
- Acquired OG Bruce Campbell
- Re-signed OLB Jordan Senn
- Signed S Reggie Smith
2012 Free Agents
|1.1||QB-Cam Newton||OROY and the Panther franchise QB (16/16)|
|3.65||DT-Terrell McClain||Very inconsistent but has a high ceiling (12/12)|
|3.97||DT-Sione Fua||Average DT who hit the wall towards the end. Ended up on IR (11/11)|
|4.98||CB-Brandon Hogan||Started the season on PUP and played at the end pf the season (3/0)|
|5.132||WR-Kealoha Pilares||Good kickoff returner, and potential solid slot WR (12/0)|
|6.166||OLB-Lawrence Wilson||Released from team after drug possesion (0/0)|
|6.203||OL-Zachary Williams||Missed season after tearing ACL in camp (0/0)|
|7.244||OT-Lee Ziemba||Provided depth and saw limited action late (6/0)|