Depth Charts ¦ Offseason Review (Coming Soon!)
|1.18||DE/OLB – Melvin Ingram||South Carolina|
|Great pick for the Chargers. Larry English has been a bust, and they lacked any real presence from OLB to get to the QB. Ingram can play almost anywhere, and starts from Day 1 in San Diego|
2.17 DT Kendall Reyes,UConn
- I thought that San Diego had bigger needs other than a 5-tech since they took Luiget last season, but I like Reyes, and he should be a great fit as a DE for the Chargers.
3.10 S Brandon Taylor,LSU
- Taylor is strong and a sure tackler. The Chargers needed some help at SS across from Eric Weddle so this pick makes sense.
4.15 TE Ladarius Green,UL-Lafayette
- The Chargers needed to think about the future at TE once Antonio Gates is gone. Green can develop for a couple of season and has potential to be a starter in this league.
5.14 OT Johnnie Troutman,Penn St.
- Troutman is a punishing run blocker who provides depth behind Tyronne Green and Louis Vazquez, and could push for a starting job this season
7.19 C David Molk,Michigan
- No one would of batted an eye if Molk was chosen in this middle of this draft. Exceptional value this late
7.43 RB Edwin Baker,Michigan St.
- Baker has a great opportunity for carries as a rookie. Will have to fight of Curtis Brinkley as top backup to Ryan Matthews.
Overall Draft Grade
|OT||Tendered Brandyn Dombrowski; Re-sign Jared Gaither; Signed Mario Henderson|
|OLB||Signed Jarrett Johnson|
|S||Signed Atari Bigby|
(Other Potential Needs: WR,RB,ILB)
Larry English has been a colossal bust at OLB for the Chargers, so they must find some consistency from this position. After signing Eric Weddle to the richest contract for a S ever, they need to pair him with a more talented and consistent SS.Sticking in the secondary,Quentin Jammer is not playing at the level he used, so an infusion of talent will be needed. At OT the Chargers need to give up on Jeromy Clary and find someone who can do a better job at protecting Phillip Rivers, and look for a healthier body to play LT. They have talented WR’s who can stretch the field, but I think it would be beneficial if they could find a quick slot type receiver.
- Released Luis Castillo
- Signed ILB Demorrio Williams
- Released OT Marcus McNeil
- Released DE Everette Brown
- Re-signed C Nick Hardwick
- Signed WR Robert Meachem
- Signed FB Le’Ron McClain
- Signed WR Eddie Royal
- Released QB Billy Volek
- Signed QB Charlie Whitehurst
- Re-signed TE Randy McMichael
- Signed TE Dante Roasrio
- Re-signed DT Anthony Garay
- Signed WR’s Roscoe Parrish and Michael Spurlock
- Re-signed DE Luis Castillo
- Re-signed FB Jacob Hester
2012 Free Agents
|1.18||DT-Corey Liuget||Started a played solid, but was’t a game changer (15/13)|
|2.50||CB-Marcus Gilchrist||Had his ups and downs, but the team love his versatility (14/3)|
|2.61||ILB-Jonas Mouton||Spent the entire season on IR (0/0)|
|3.82||WR-Vincent Brown||Showed some upside. Full offseason should only help his development (14/4)|
|3.89||CB-Shareece Wright||Unable to earn solid PT, only contributed on special teams (7/0)|
|6.183||RB-Jordan Todman||Signed by Vikings off the Chargers practice squad (0/0)|
|6.201||OT-Steve Schilling||Provided depth and could be a factor headed into 2012 (9/2)|
|7.234||OLB-Andrew Gachkar||Eanred his keep with good special teams play (16/0)|