Depth Chart ¦ Offseason Review (Coming Soon!)
|1.26||DE – Whitney Mercilus||Illinois|
|I like this pick seeing that the Texans lost Mario Williams and Mercilus can play standing up or with his hand in the dirt. But with Barwin,Redd and a major hole at RT with Cordy Glenn still there, why chose a 3rd pass rusher?|
3.5 WR DeVier Posey,Ohio St.
- Posey has solid size and will take pressure off Andre Johnson, but he’s a slight reach at this point, seeing he had better value in round 5 and there are better options out there.
3.13 OG Brandon Brooks,Miami(OH)
- Texans need talent and depth at Guard and get a great selection with Brooks. He could push for a starting gig right away.
4.4 C Ben Jones,Georgia
- I like Jones as a player, but the Texans had a bigger need at RT, and with Bobby Massie still there, I think that would of been a better choice.
4.26 WR Keshawn Martin,Michigan St.
- Houston had a need at WR entering this draft and take their 2nd one with Keshawn Martin. He adds to the return game and has solid hands. Little early at this point with better options still available.
4.31 DE Jared Crick,Nebraska
- Texans needed some depth at 5-tech and get a good one with Jared Crick. Crick had solid value in the 2nd-3rd round, and excellent value late in the 4th.
5.26 K Randy Bullcok,Texas A&M
- I had the Texans selecting Bullock in my latest mock draft, so they fill a need. But when will the Texans address the glaring hole at RT?
6.25 OT Nick Mondek,Purdue
- Texans got their OT, but it’s not someone that can contributor this year. Mondel had an undraftable grade and is not a very good pick in our opinion.
Overall Draft Grade
|S||Re-signed Quintin Demps|
(Other Potential Needs: C,CB,ILB)
The Texans have laid a foundation that could have them in playoffs for years to come. While there aren’t many glaring holes, there are some areas that need to be focused on in order for them to be a Super Bowl contender. At WR they need to find someone opposite of Andre Johnson to take pressure of him, and a quick slot WR would be a nice addition. OG could be upgraded as well. On Defense the starters seem set, but they could use a mid round pick on true NT in their 3-4 scheme. Depth at DE and in the Secondary need to be addressed as well.
- Re-Signed RB Arian Foster
- Released OT Eric Winston and QB Matt Lienart
- Release FB Lawrence Vickers
- Re-sign C Chris Meyers
- Signed P Donnie Jones
- Signed QB John Beck
2012 Free Agents
|1.11||DE-JJ Watt||Played better than the Texans could of hoped. Looks to be a feature of this D for a long time (16/16)|
|2.42||OLB-Brooks Reed||Did a great job replacing an injured Mario Williams (16/11)|
|2.60||CB-Brandon Harris||Never climbed up the depth chart. Needs a big 2012 (7/0)|
|4.127||CB-Rashad Carmichael||Lost for the season after suffering a shoulder injury (0/0)|
|5.144||SS-Shilo Keo||Solid backup and a good special teamer (10/0)|
|5.152||QB-TJ Yates||Started 7 games due to injury and had a playoff victory (6/5)|
|7.214||OT-Derek Newton||Developmental OT. Showed up in ST (14/0)|
|7.254||DE-Cheta Ozougwu||Mr. Irrelevant didn’t make the roster (0/0)|